The Myth of the Right Time: Why Motivation Follows Action, Not the Other Way Around
If you’re waiting for motivation to show up before you start, you might be waiting forever.
One of the most common misconceptions about motivation is that it’s something we need to feel before we act. We think once the stars align when we’re well-rested, inspired, caffeinated, confident, and the calendar is magically clear we’ll finally begin that project, go to the gym, write that book, or make that change.
But here’s the truth that high performers, resilient leaders, and comeback stories all share:
Motivation is a result, not a requirement.
Let’s break this down.
The Action-Motivation Loop
In psychology, this is referred to as the behavioral activation principle. It means that action precedes emotion. In other words, the very act of doing something no matter how small creates the internal spark that fuels further movement. It’s not “I feel motivated, so I act,” it’s “I act, and that builds my motivation.”
You don’t wait to feel strong before going to the gym. You go to the gym and become stronger.
You don’t wait to feel confident before speaking up. You speak up, and confidence begins to grow.
You don’t wait to be inspired to write. You write, and inspiration meets you at the desk.
Waiting is a Comfort Zone Disguised as Wisdom
The “right time” is a socially accepted delay tactic. It sounds wise, even mature: “I’m just waiting for the right timing,” or “It’s not a good season for that right now.” But more often than not, this is fear wearing a mask fear of failure, fear of judgment, or fear of not being perfect out of the gate.
Here’s a reframe: The right time isn’t a date it’s a decision.
And sometimes, the decision has to be made in the middle of chaos, fatigue, or doubt.
The 5-Minute Rule That Builds Motivation
If you’re stuck or unmotivated, try this:
Commit to five minutes. Just five.
Write one paragraph. Do five pushups. Open the laptop. Start the email. Take the first step literally or figuratively. Why? Because five minutes overcomes the inertia that kills dreams.
And here’s the catch: once you’ve started, you’re already winning. That momentum? It’s your motivation being built in real time.
Proof From the Trenches
I’ve watched athletes train on days they didn’t feel like it, and walk off the field motivated. I’ve seen entrepreneurs start their business in the middle of job loss. I’ve worked with people battling depression who found the strength to take one step, then another, and that became their ladder out.
They didn’t wait for motivation.
They created it.
Your Comeback Doesn’t Need a Green Light
Whatever comeback or breakthrough you’re aiming for, don’t wait for a perfect headspace. Don’t wait for a perfect moment. You don’t need motivation to start, you need courage. Just enough to move. Just enough to begin. Just enough to say, “I don’t feel like it, but I’m doing it anyway.”
And once you do?
Motivation won’t just show up. It’ll chase you.
Comments
Post a Comment